Occurs when a man can’t get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse and can be a sign of a physical or psychological condition. The main symptom is a man’s inability to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse and can result in stress, relationship strain, and low self-confidence. Patients suffering from erectile dysfunction should first be evaluated for any underlying physical and psychological conditions. If treatment of the underlying conditions doesn’t help, medications and assistive devices, such as pumps, can be prescribed.
Causes of ED
- Diabetes (high blood sugar).
- Hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).
- Stress, anxiety, or depression.
- Alcohol and tobacco use.
- Some prescription medicines. This includes antidepressants, pain medicine, and high blood pressure medicine.
- Brain or spinal cord injuries.
- Hypogonadism (a condition that leads to low levels of the male hormone, testosterone).
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Radiation therapy to the testicles.
- Some types of prostate or bladder surgery.
If you are having symptoms of ED, call our office today. Our practitioners can help you find the cause of ED and create a plan to get you back to full health.